“As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through links in this post”
As the spring and summer seasons roll in we trade in our workout wardrobe of leggings or capris for workout shorts. The biggest problem that most of us face with workout shorts is the annoyance of them riding up your legs.
How in the world can you effectively exercise when you have to constantly pull at your shorts? Even if you wear workout shorts to just hangout or chill, your comfort level is on zero as your shorts constantly creep up. Today’s your lucky day. We have conducted long hours of research to put together a list and review of the best workout shorts that don’t ride up.
Comparison Table of the Best Workout Shorts That Won’t Ride Up
|Brand||What We Liked|
BALEAF Women's Workout Shorts
|High waistband, 3 Pockets|
Under Armour Play Up 2.0 Shorts
|Anti-odor technology, 3" Inseam|
THE GYM PEOPLE High Waist Yoga Shorts
|Four-way stretch fabric, Wide waistband|
Cadmus Women's Workout Shorts
|Non-see through, reasonably priced|
Dragon Fit Women's Workout Shorts
|Tummy control, Soft and flexible material|
What causes workout shorts to ride up?
If you are thinking, “Duh my thick thighs” then you are incorrect. Even someone with very thin legs can face the dreaded riding up of shorts if they have the below issues.
- Rise of shorts is too long – If the length from the waistband to the crotch (the rise) is too long it will lead to bunching of the shorts. If there is more than an inch and a half of fabric sagging in the crotch area then your shorts will likely ride up.
- Shorts are too small – If the leg openings of your shorts are too small your shorts will not stay put and will tend to rise up. Also, if the amount of fabric across the backside is lacking you will end up with the awful V-shaped back wedgie.
What features to look for in workout shorts that will not ride up
There are a couple of things to look for to increase your chances of choosing the best shorts that will not retreat up your legs.
1. Length – Shorts with approximately 5 inches of space between the end of my shorts and my knee while sitting tended to perform the best. A generous length also helps if you have issues with chafing.
2. Fabric – You want to choose a fabric that will have a degree of stretch to it. This will allow for flexibility during movement. You’ll also want a fabric that is somewhere between thick and thin. Shorts that are made of fabric blends will be your best bet.
Top Workout Shorts That Won’t Ride Up
After my research, I unearthed the following options as the best workout shorts that will behave properly by staying in place.
These workout shorts by Baleaf are made of a polyester/spandex blend that will ensure freedom of movement. The high waistband provides maximum coverage and eliminates the possibility of a “muffin top”. The 3 pockets are an added bonus. I was easily able to go hands-free and stash my Samsung Galaxy phone in one of the leg pockets while I went for a walk.
The Play Up 2.0 Shorts by Under Armour offer breathability and comfort. The 3″ inseam is a great length to eliminate a saggy crotch typical with this style of shorts. Of course, a sagging crotch will lead to riding up of the shorts that you are trying to avoid. The material not only wicks away sweat, but also has an anti-odor technology that prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes.
These high quality workout shorts combine function, fashion and performance. The have great tummy control and a wide waistband that contours to your body. The 4 way stretch fabric gives you flexible range for all activity levels. I love that this company offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
The workout shorts by Cadmus are our most reasonably priced option. But do not let the inexpensive price cause you to believe this means lower quality. The ample sized seams lay flat to increase comfort and prevent riding up of the legs. The fabric is smooth, non-see through and strong enough to move with you even with the most vigorous exercise.
The Dragon Fit Workout Shorts have a high waist fit to give you added tummy control. Feel confident as you wear these shorts without having to worry about an unflattering muffin top. The fabric is soft and flexible enough to allow movement. The inseams ranging from 4.7″ to 5.7″ ensure that you have the perfect fit to prevent riding up no matter which size you wear.
My Final Thoughts
Don’t let the fear of not being able to find workout shorts that don’t ride up keep you restricted to leggings. By choosing any of the exercise shorts we featured, you can rest assured you won’t have to pull at the legs of your shorts with each step!
- Best Workout Leggings That Aren’t See Through
- Best Waist Trimmer For Under Clothes
- Will 5lb Weights Tone My Arms?